Thursday, June 20, 2013

Ocean Beach & Cliff House in 1930

There's this great blog I follow that's all about my neighborhood, and they recently posted this fun video of scenes from Ocean Beach and the Cliff House, back in 1930. Since I'm a fan of local ephemera, I thought I'd repost it here.


This might resonate a little extra for me because I used to live a stone's throw from Ocean Beach and the Cliff House, and also because my grandpa grew up in the Sunset and he or other relatives sometimes talked about the Playland at the Beach. I feel grateful to have experienced a little bit of history crossing generations, as when I lived in the Outer Richmond, the Musee Mechanique was still housed below the Cliff House. I often took long walks along the Great Highway that ended at the arcade, where I'd spend my spare change on Laughing Sal and the nickel and dime machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment