Monday, March 11, 2013

wanted: a map of the world

Thanks to brain pickings for the heads up about this book: A Map of the World: The World According to Illustrators and Storytellers. Magical.

Vesa Sammalisto - Island of Manhattan
Dorothy - LA Film Map 
Vesa Sammalisto - Hartwall Lapin Kulta
Harriet Lyall - 3.2 Miles / 9 Bridges 
Masako Kubo - Kyushu Train All Stars
João Lauro Fonte - Boots Adventures in London (Converse)
These maps really underscore how many ways there are to view the world. They also remind me of Rebecca Solnit's Infinite City, in which she explores my hometown of San Francisco in 22 unexpected maps and 19 really wonderful essays.

Check out the post on brain pickings for a description and a few more striking image samples.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my - I may need this book. I love maps and it looks wonderful...(The first images immediately made me think of Infinite City too.)

    ReplyDelete