Friday, January 15, 2010

an unruly love for ampersands.

If I'd been waiting all my life to meet the right cutting board, this would be The One:


Things like this, from House Industries, seriously challenge my inner minimalist. The large cutting board is a little over my budget, and the small one is currently out of stock, but I think I'd enjoy chopping up things more if they were on an ampersand.

According to Wikipedia, an ampersand is a logogram, representing the word "and." Wikipedia goes on to say that the etymology of the word "is a corruption" of the phrase "and per se and." I like that: a corruption. I know I'm not the only person who loves this beautiful logogram, which reminds me, sometimes, of treble clefs in sheet music. There's also an ampersandland group on Flickr:


 



I even have an ampersand tee:


If there were a logogram for 'or' I might be in trouble. I guess that's what I like about the ampersand - there are no decisions; it's so inclusive.

Happy Friday.

1 comment:

  1. OMG how funny I LOVE them too!! That T is amazing! You are the most fabulous person in the world. period. & I love your mini obsessions :)

    ReplyDelete